Mass closure: This bug has been untouched for more than six years, and is not
obviously still valid. Please reopen this bug or file a new report if you
continue to experience issues with current releases.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  open lid -> wrong resolution

Status in X.Org X server:
  Invalid
Status in xserver-xorg-video-ati package in Ubuntu:

  HP nw8240 with ATI FireGL V5000 PCIE card
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HPNW8240/Kubuntu

  When I close the lid, the screen goes blank as it should. When I open the
lid, I get very strange resolution (I would say 640x480 instead of 1920x1200)
as the only thing that can be recognized is mouse pointer which is at least 3x
size and streched.
  I can get back to normal resolution if I do switch consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F1
followed by Ctrl-Alt-F7). Everything is normal after that.

  This has started to occur somewhere around Flight 6 times, but I did
  not report it as I was not sure if my test powersave/kpowersave
  packages were causing it.

  I have now installed Ubuntu Dapper Beta (from text install CD) and have not
performed any update yet from repositories (I have seen there is new ati driver
in repo - I may try it to see if it helps).
  I plan to also install Kubuntu Dapper Beta on this machine (triple-boot).