** Changed in: x11proto-core (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to x11proto-core in Ubuntu.

  (needs x11 protocol update) XKB cannot map multiple keyboard models

Status in gnome-control-center:
  Unknown
Status in xkeyboard-config:
  Invalid
Status in x11proto-core package in Ubuntu:

  The X.org XKB protocol has a limitation in that it can map only one
  keyboard model and a max of 4 layouts (bug #56912) in a given X
  session.  The data type used to communicate keyboard mappings between
  the server and client apps simply doesn't provide room for the data
  needed for multiple keyboards.  So a proper solution requires updating
  the X11 protocol to X12 (or at least X11.1), which is something that
  must be done upstream (further, there is risk that changing the
  protocol could cause widespread breakage in client applications if not
  done carefully.)

  So, in other words, this is not something that can be trivially fixed,
  but it's a known issue and will hopefully be dealt with some day.

  [Original Report]
  The gnome-keyboard-properties dialog allows me to define only 1 keyboard
model; instead the model ought to be specific to each layout.

  I have an English keyboard (Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard with
  105 keys) and also a French one (AZERTY with 104 keys).  I cannot
  properly define the French one because I cannot select an appropriate
  keyboard model for it without disrupting the definition of the English
  keyboard.  I can only define a single model system-wide.

  [lspci]
  00:00.0 Memory controller [0580]: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller
[10de:005e] (rev a3)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8N-E Mainboard [1043:815a]
  05:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce
7600 GT] [10de:0391] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])