The libreoffice 'start screen' fails to build properly on my system also
(a fresh 10.10 install, upgraded to 11.04 and then to 11.10). Not a huge
problem, but unsightly and annoying. I was going to write a 'bug report'
on this myself. Mr Van Hoorde has saved me a job.

  Problems launcher with LibreOffice

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  There are several problems I want to report, problems which occurred after
upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10. They are all related to LibreOffice and the
integration of this application with the OS, esp. Unity.
  (a) if I try to integrate soffice (i.e. overall screen which shows all
LibreOffice components) as a button in the launcher (by dragging from list in
dash), it fails to show an icon. Thus it remains a black space, which runs as a
link though. Subsequently, when clicking on the black space with the rightside
mouse buttonthe normal dark little window opens but does not show the name of
the application, which normally is the case (e.g. LibreOffice Writer - Firefox
Browser Web)
  (b) when closing a document in any component of LibreOffice (writer, calc
etc...) by clicking on the X at the right top corner, normally the application
always turns to the soffice survey page with all components. This page now is
very instable: parts of the closed page are still visible at the side and
bottom of the sreen. Moreover when starting from soffice, the screen has not
its normal lay-out (white rectangle on a grey-blue background). The background
turns to white at both sides and at the bottom of the screen.
  (c) more disturbing is that when opening a document in one of the LibreOffice
components, the launcher fails to indicate that a window of the application is
already active (little arrows at the side of the launcher buttons). Thus one
can lose track of an opened document, which can cause problems (erroneous
cancellation, doublework etc...)
  (c) with maximised windows  of LibreOffice components (soffice, swriter
etc...) often fails to show the three symbols to close, minimize and maximise',
the only possibility to close the application is throug the menu of the
application itself (File - Exit)
  (d) Sometimes a document in one of the LibreOffice components is active, but
if we activate the launcher by moving the mouse to the left screen side, it
doesn't show the icon of the active application. It just doesn't seem to be
there. If I'm not mistaken, this problem has already been reported by others as
well.

  Package: libreoffice 1:3.4.3-3ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu3