Hello Kaj,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with Thunderbird.

You made this bug report in 2010 and there have been several versions of
Ubuntu and Thunderbird since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
Or, if it is still a problem, could you run the following (only once):
apport-collect 571460

and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for
this particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu and Thunderbird better.

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Hitting return twice in Thunderbird logs out session

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), Thunderbird 2.0.0.24+build1
  +nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.10.2

  While writing regular e-mails in Thunderbird, my entire session
  suddenly goes black and logs me out when hitting the return key twice
  in rapid succession (i.e. when starting a new paragraph). This has now
  happened several times (although it does not happen every time I hit
  return this way...), and only while using Thunderbird. I don't know
  whether it is a problem with Thunderbird or X...

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386