Hello Jurrit,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with Thunderbird.

You made this bug report in 2011 and there have been several versions of
Ubuntu and Thunderbird since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
Or, if it is still a problem, could you run the following (only once):
apport-collect 704837

and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for
this particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu and Thunderbird better.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Crash with segmentation fault

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  During normal operation, like deleting a file, or doing nothing,
  thunderbird will randomly crash. It only returns a segmentation fault.
  Here a part of `strace thunderbird`:

  getgroups(9, [4, 20, 24, 46, 105, 119, 122, 123, 1000]) = 9
  clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD,
child_tidptr=0x7f531ad359d0) = 3476
  wait4(-1, deliver mode: 0
  Segmentation fault
  [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 139}], 0, NULL) = 3476
  --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
  exit_group(139)                         = ?

  What can I do more to get more crash information? It is easy to
  reproduce, it wil crash at least once per hour. I don't have any
  strange plugins. It is just a large mailbox. A similar thunderbird
  with the same ubuntu version is also running on another machine,
  accessing the same mailbox. However, that thunderbird only crashes
  every three days or so.