Hello Steven,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with Thunderbird.

You made this bug report in 2011 and there have been several versions of
Ubuntu and Thunderbird since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
Or, if it is still a problem, could you run the following (only once):
apport-collect 740934

and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for
this particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu and Thunderbird better.

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  thunderbird locks up, unable to browse folder structure

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  since upgrading to 11.04 Thunderbird has became intermittently
  unusable

  I am using Gmail IMAP - although the program is responding to the menu
  commands it it not possible to browse through the folder structure,
  and therefore not possible to access any e-nails in the mailbox

  Thunderbird 3.1.9

  Package: thunderbird 3.1.9+nobinonly-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.38-generic-pae 2.6.38
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic-pae i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Wed Mar 23 12:12:22 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release i386 (20101007)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: thunderbird
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-03-23 (0 days ago)