Current versions of Ubuntu do not allow for this customization of
appearance anymore, this bug is outdated.

  Firefox default colors not reacting to system theme

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  On Ubuntu 10.10, the default theme contains text that is not
  completely black, but a dark gray. I changed this to black in the
  Appearance control panel. Firefox does not react to this change.
  Although I set the default web foreground and background colors to
  full white and full black, it still uses the default colors from the
  Ubuntu theme on all web pages that do not set colors themselves.

  That is a bummer, and also appears in Thunderbird BTW. In Thunderbird,
  the list display of continues to show dark gray fonts instead of black
  ones.