It actually took me a while to upgrade to 18.04, now i can't do anything
on my laptop.

  I'm trying to login freshly to my ubuntu 18.04 but the desktop won't
  show, just the terminal

  Last login: Tue Jul 3 16:54:32 BST 2018 on tty4
  Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64)

  *Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com
  *Management:    https://landscape.canonical.com
  *Support:       https://ubuntu.com/advantage

  *Meltdown, Spectre and Ubuntu: What are the attack vectors, how the fixes
work,
   and everything else you need to know - https://ubu.one/u2know

  0 packages can be updated.
  0 updates are security updates.