Thanks @mottenkiller.

I've marked my bug, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-
settings-daemon/+bug/1773589, as a duplicate of yours since you actually
uncovered the mechanics of the problem.

** Package changed: apache2 (Ubuntu) => gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  calculator does not start using special-key on keyboard

Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  just installed 18.04 on my desktop.

  Using the calculator-special-key on my keyboard calculator does not start. :(
  Using the menu the calc just starts as expected.

  Looking for an error in gnome-logs, I found this one:

  gsd-media-keys
  Could not find application 'org.gnome.Calculator.desktop' or
'gnome-calculator.desktop'

  Further investigation:
  Since 18.04 calc is installed as a snap.
  Looks like my special-key tries to start calc, but does not success due to an
error in linking to the snap-system.

  As a workaround I installed the package gnome-calculator:
  sudo apt-get install gnome-calculator