Same issue on 18.04.

Sometimes, not always, lockscreen starts saying "wrong password".
Currently I'm fixing it via switching to a tty (ctl+alt+f1) and sending SIGTERM
to everything that mention screensaver except for gsd-screensaver-proxy (simply
via htop interface). After that workaround I'm sometimes stuck with a session
that turns off my monitors every 30 seconds of inactivity.

It's really annoying.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  Gnome screensaver lock always reports "incorrect password"

Status in gnome-screensaver package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-screensaver

  When inactive, the screensaver locks the workstation.  When logging
  back in, I enter my password.  This always returns "incorrect
  password".

  Workaround: hit "Switch User" log in as that same user with the denied
  password, revealing the session that was logged out of.

  I changed the password: "sudo passwd".  No change in behavior.

  The question: where is it drawing the password from if not from the
  same place that the regular login derives it?  And how can I fix this
  admittedly small but annoying problem?