Sounds maybe like bug 1767030?

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Search field in "Open file" dialog loses focus after every character
  typed

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  When we click in the magnifier icon next to the "Open" button in a
  (system provided) "Open File" dialog to search for some file by name,
  after each character typed, if there are any search results, the
  search field loses focus to the list view of the results.

  The correct behavior would be to maintain focus until we stopped
  typing or even manually changed focus.

  I've added a screencast of the problem as an attachment.

  PS: I have no idea if this dialog is provided by nautilus, so I'm not marking
it here. Also, I tried using xprop to get the correct package, but it only
reports the application using it, not the one providing.

  ---
  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      18.04