FWIW I just found this issue in Bionic. BTW error messages like "Sharing
service installation has failed" drive me nuts.

** Package changed: samba (Ubuntu) => nautilus-share (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nautilus-share in Ubuntu.

  Sharing service installation failed

Status in nautilus-share package in Ubuntu:

  I've tried to share a folder from this Oneiric machine, but the normal
  process (check the "share this folder" -> install Samba server, etc.)
  is not working.

  The error "Sharing service installation failed" pops up with this
  explanation "Sharing service installation has failed. Would you like
  to retry the installation?" (Retry/Cancel buttons are there).

  Retry is not working either.

  This worked flawless in Natty.

  Package: samba (not installed)
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu Sep 22 02:45:07 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta amd64 (20110901)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   nautilus 1:3.1.92-0ubuntu2
   gvfs     1.9.5-0ubuntu2
  SambaClientRegression: Yes
  SourcePackage: samba
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-09-01 (19 days ago)