This is currently happening to me on Windows 10:  Inkscape 0.92.3
(2405546, 2018-03-11)  Didn't happen on 0.91

Everytime I set the Display Units to mm, save, close and reopen file, it's
always px.  I'm doing this for laser cutting as well.

I had this problem on Ubuntu 18.04 as well, but I moved over to the
Windows OS because it handles DXF import files better without crashing.
But this px to mm has been annoying.

** Attachment added: "RPi_B+_7inch_TS-Display_Acrylcase.svg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/inkscape/+bug/1687817/+attachment/5169865/+files/RPi_B+_7inch_TS-Display_Acrylcase.svg

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  Inkscape 0.92.1-1 always reverts display units to px

Status in Inkscape:
  Incomplete
Status in inkscape package in Ubuntu:

  Files created in Inkscape 0.92 no longer respect user's display units.
  Inkscape 0.91 didn't have this problem.

  Expected results:

  1. Open Inkscape
  2. Set File → Document Properties → Display Units to mm
  3. Edit and save the file, then quit Inkscape
  4. Reopen the docuemnt in Inkscape, and the Display Units value in the object
toolbar and the Document Properties should remain as mm.

  Actual results:

  1. Open Inkscape
  2. Set File → Document Properties → Display Units to mm
  3. Edit and save the file, then quit Inkscape
  4. Reopen the docuemnt in Inkscape, and the Display Units value in the object
toolbar and the Document Properties are set to px.
  5. Alternatively, File → Save As… immediately changes Display units to px.

  I work with laser cut patterns made in Inkscape, and maintaining
  document size is critical. I know about the recent 90/96 px/inch
  change, and this shouldn't be affected by that

  Package: inkscape 0.92.1-1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: Unity:Unity7