I am not sure that the suggested patch is a good fix for the problem.
As I understand it, with the patch, when the currently active destination
becomes unavailable, new destination is chosen on the basis of its priority.

Now consider my own use case:
I have S/PDIF and Analog outputs on the chip, but S/PDIF is not connected to
anywhere (there is no connector on the box). I have speakers permanently
connected to the analog "line out" socket. And I use headphones intermittently.
Normally, desktop's audio widget configures "line out" as active, which is what
I want. When I plug the headphones, they automatically become active, and
speakers are muted, which is what I want, again. But, when I unplug the
headphones, (unconnected) S/PDIF becomes active instead of the speakers, and I
lose sound until I manually reconfigure the output via the audio widget.

I think that my scenario is quite typical (it happens both on my desktop
and notebook computers), and should be addressed better.

Thank you.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Sound is not automatically switched back from headphones to speakers

Status in PulseAudio:
  Unknown
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When plugging in headphones, sound output is correctly switched from
  speakers (line out) to the headphones. When the headphones are
  unplugged, sound is NOT automatically switched back to the speakers.

  This bug started happening on my system after I upgraded from 14.04 to
  15.10 so it is a regression. Attached is pulseaudio log of what
  happens when I plug and unplug my headphones.