Since I no longer have this printer (it served me well for 20 years),
the bug is no longer a problem.

The LaserJet 5 was a marvelous printer -- for its time!

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Wrong PPD (again) for HP LaserJet 5

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:

  The PPD that I get for the HP LaserJet 5 with a fully updated Kubuntu
  12.04 is the wrong one.  Twice before I've had the correct one, only
  to have an update bring back the wrong one.   The correct one is what
  I get when I select the "old" PPD while installing the printer using
  Kubuntu's System Settings.  The wrong one goes into duplex mode
  automatically and doesn't recognize the request to turn duplexing off.