It seems to me that the most sensible approach would be to just remove
the Computer button from the Places menu. Then you'd just open Home and
select Other Locations. I think that would be more in keeping with the
latest Nautilus redesign.

I'm not at all sure but we may want to do likewise with the Network
button in the Places menu because it's now also accessible via Home ->
Other Locations.

  File system folder in nautilus Artful/Bionic flashback session does
  nothing

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Go to Places > Computer, left-click to open "Files", then select File
  System either by double-click or right-click + open and nothing
  happens. If you go Places > Home > Other locations and select Computer
  the file system opens as expected.

  Package: gnome-panel 1:3.24.1-1ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME-Flashback:GNOME
  Date: Tue Jan 16 21:54:39 2018
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.gnome-panel.layout' b'object-id-list' b"['window-list',
'workspace-switcher', 'clock', 'cpu-freq-applet', 'indicator-applet',
'inhibit-applet', 'menu-button', 'multi-load-applet', 'trash-applet',
'launcher', 'launcher-0', 'launcher-1']"
   b'org.gnome.gnome-panel.layout' b'toplevel-id-list' b"['bottom-panel']"
   b'org.gnome.gnome-panel.run-dialog' b'history' b"['gufw']"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Release amd64 (20171018)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>