So here is the upstream answer:

Window decorations are client-side on wayland, that means they are just another
part of the application window the same way as the products you are viewing. We
cannot tell what parts of the window are decorations, or whether there are in
fact any decorations at all. It's entirely up to applications to adjust to
window state changes if they desire.

(In the X11 session, there is a _GTK_HIDE_TITLEBAR_WHEN_MAXIMIZED hint
that applications can set, and you'll find extensions that apply that to
any windows. But X11 is a legacy technology at this point, and we won't
add any features based on that.)

As Ubuntu 18.04 is a LTS release still using X11 for compatibility can
the Ubuntu project please add the _GTK_HIDE_TITLEBAR_WHEN_MAXIMIZED hint
as a toggle?

  gnome-shell window title bar wastes space when maximized

  Steps to reproduce
  Start Ubuntu
  Login to Unity
  Choose logoff
  Choose Ubuntu (which should have the label Gnome-hell)

  Note this is the only way to get Gnome-hell to start, starting it
  directly just shows a black screen and dumps you back to the greeter.
  (already created a bug report for that)

  Open a program
  Choose the Maximize icon alllll the way over on the right (thanks Gnome-shell
devs for causing more Mouse Arm for people with Hi-res screens, instead of just
moving the mouse up to the top to click my button, I now have to move it all
the way across the screen to the right)

  The window maximizes but not to full screen. I get a weird double bar,
  with the clock bar and the window title bar wasting valuable pixels.

  On my professional systems at work, this means I can display one less
  product on the screen, products being more important than the titel of
  the window.

  Please hide the window title when maximized. (or make it at least
  optional)

  Package: gnome-shell 3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair nvidia_modeset
nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Aug 15 23:53:59 2018
  DisplayManager: lightdm
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'favorite-apps' redacted by apport
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'gtk-im-module' b"'gtk-im-context-simple'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Beta amd64 (20150805)
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-08-15 (0 days ago)