Norm Paul, it is most helpful if you use the host computer (not VM) the problem
is reproducible with and file a new report with Ubuntu by first ensuring the
package xdiagnose is installed, and click the Yes button for attaching
additional debugging information after running the following from a terminal:
ubuntu-bug xorg

Also, please feel free to subscribe me to it.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Left Mouse Button Sometimes Gets Stuck in Unity (12.04)

Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  The symptoms : I do "something" (haven't quite put my finger on it
  yet) that causes the left mouse button to appear stuck down (its like
  a MOUSE_DOWN event happened, but never a corresponding MOUSE_UP
  event).

  The stuck mouse button manifest itselfin Intellij IDEA, which
  basically becomes unusable.  Many times when this happens, the same
  behavior is also present on applications inside the virtual box VMs.

  I generally have the following three programs running at all times, so
  I think it is triggered by something in them (I have a sneaking
  suspicious its using the mousewheel to scroll up / scroll down in the
  virtualbox vm).

   - Intellij IDEA
   - Virtual Box (usually running a few windows VMs)
   - Chromium

  To solve the problem, I end up having to completely reboot (which
  kills a lot of time, because I have to alsy cycle the VMs).

  As far as what triggers this problem - it is somewhat hard to
  determine but I think it may have something to do with using the
  mousewheel while the focus is on one of the virtual box VMs.

  One other thing I've noticed is that the problem only seems to happen
  in Unity. If I choose Gnome shell then I've not had the issue (but I
  end up coming back to Unity since its grown on me).

  Other people have also reported the same or similar issue here (I also
  posted a description there) :

   http://askubuntu.com/questions/155499/regain-control-of-mouse-by-
  restarting-xorg/179571#179571

  I am using 12.04 64-bit.