-- GitLab Migration Automatic Message --

This bug has been migrated to freedesktop.org's GitLab instance and has
been closed from further activity.

You can subscribe and participate further through the new bug through
this link to our GitLab instance:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/cairo/cairo/issues/23.

Packages, which is subscribed to cairo in Ubuntu.

  some ~/.fonts.conf settings do no override desktop-wide gnome settings
  (hinting style)

Status in cairo:
  Unknown
Status in cairo package in Ubuntu:

  I didn't fill out the package field, since this seems to be an
  interaction between multiple packages (gnome-setting-daemon, libgtk,
  libcairo, pango/cairo).

  In the 'Appearance' control app, under the font settings, I like to
  use 'Subpixel' and 'Full' hinting by default, since this looks good
  for most bundled fonts.

  However, there is occasionally a font (especially in the msttcorefonts
  package) that doesn't look good with these settings. So I want to
  override their rendering settings using .fonts.conf. My main tactic is
  to usually turn on the autohinter in 'hintslight' mode for certain
  fonts. Lets take Times new Roman as an example.. the .fonts.conf
  incantation to do this would be:

   <match target="font">
           <test name="family" qual="any">
                   <string>Times New Roman</string>
           </test>
   </match>

  The odd thing about this is that the 'autohint' and 'hinting' edits
  seem to work, but the 'hintstyle' edit is always overridden by the
  control applet's settings. I can verify this by launching gedit each
  time after tweaking these settings.

  "fc-match -v 'Times New Roman'" does return the right settings, so its
  something in the chain of gtk libraries that is messing it up.

  Interstingly, it's not all possible edit settings that are ignored. It
  seems to only be hintstyle. For example if I were to say:

   <match target="font">
           <test name="family" qual="any">
                   <string>Times New Roman</string>
           </test>
   </match>

  Then this works correctly. Only Times New Roman will be non-antialiased even
in gedit. Even setting "hinting" to "false" works.. its only the hintstyle
setting that doesn't work.
  [lspci]
  00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX
Host bridge [8086:7190] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: VMware Inc Device [15ad:1976]
  00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: VMware Inc Abstract SVGA II Adapter
[15ad:0405]
        Subsystem: VMware Inc Abstract SVGA II Adapter [15ad:0405]