I think what reported by Lorens may be totally unrelated to the use of
Chrome. The use of VirtualBox, latest version 5.2.18, with a Ubuntu
18.04 64bit guest with 3D acceleration **enabled** and maximum VRAM
configured (128MB) is completely unusable because of extremely high
memory usage of gnome-shell, independently of the application launched:
you can launch nothing or launch firefox, for example, and the session
will become unusable pretty soon. It may be worth some more
investigation of VirtualBox+3D acceleration use case. My host is
actually Windows 10 64bit.

  gnome-shell + chrome doing nothing consumes high CPU all the time

  Expired

Bug description:
  This is somewhat similar to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
  /gnome-shell/+bug/1696305

  After a few cycles of suspend, working with external monitor, running
  Chrome with 10+ opened tabs causes gnome-shell and chrome to use 60%
  of CPU just idling. When I do some more active work - it consumes even
  more. My laptop is hot all the time.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.28.1-0ubuntu2
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME