9-8-018 fresh install with updates .. some user switches work, some
don't logout is also crashing with irresponsive black screen. When the
user switch fails, the description is slightly different from above. If
the mouse pointer comes in at lower right, the user switch works. If it
comes in upper right, then the mouse fails, alt-F1 etc.  all do nothing,
and rather than blank purple screen, I have what appears to be a
successful login, but the system is completely non-responsive.

dell optiplex 755
SSd
3.16 GHZ core 2 duo

  [regression] Password accepted but login fails (blank purple screen
  and mouse pointer only)

Status in gdm:
  Fix Released
Status in Release Notes for Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gdm3 source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-shell source package in Bionic:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  [ Description ]

  Due to a refcounting bug, a GDBusConnection was getting disposed when
  it was still required. The symptom of this was that you couldn't log
  in on the second attempt if you'd got your password wrong on the first
  attempt. All you'd see is a blank purple screen and mouse pointer
  only.

  [ Test case ]

  1. Boot to GDM
  2. Click your username
  3. Type the wrong password a couple of times, pressing enter after each time
  4. Type the right password

  If the bug is happening, after 4. the system hangs at a blank screen
  with the mouse cursor. If you then switch to a VT or otherwise connect
  to the machine, you can examine the journal and you'll see a
  G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION failure.

  [ Fix ]

  Marco and I worked upstream on this fix. We found out that there was a
  problem like this-

  The GdmClient has a shared GDBusConnection for its operations. The
  first time  someone calls for it, it is created and stored in the
  object's private structure. Subsequent calls return *a new reference*
  to this same object. It turned out that the asynchronous method to get
  the connection was accidentally unreferencing its object before giving
  it to the caller if it was returning an already-existing connection.

  For this to work properly, we need to nullify the pointer we stored
  when the connection goes away, so we know when to make a new one.
  There were some cases where we didn't add the weak references required
  to do that. Those are also fixed.

  [ Regression potential ]

  Now we share connections more than we did before. We also more
  carefully track when to clear our object. If we got this wrong, we
  might end up leaking the connection or dropping it in even more cases.

  [ Original report ]

  WORKAROUND: After typing an incorrect password, click Cancel, then
  click your name, then enter your password again.

  ---

  Trying to log into my session (Gnome, Xorg), if I enter the wrong
  password before entering it correctly, the session doesn't load and I
  get a purple screen, a mouse cursor, and an invisible but clickable
  menu in the top right. If I enter it correctly the first time, there
  is no problem.

  I've replicated this from a fresh boot, after logging out and after
  'sudo service gdm restart' from the Ctrl-Alt-F4 console.

  This is a fresh install, and didn't occur when I was using a previous
  install of 18.04 (until Friday).

  Package: gdm3 3.28.0-0ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME