I have the same issue, but I do have a GeForce 8200 integral on the
motherboard.  I was happily running 16.04 with nvidia-304 driver.
Upgraded to 18.04 and nvidia-340 (recommended driver) and the system
hangs a few minutes after booting.  If I go into recovery mode and
remove nvidia-340, all good.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-340 crashes display in 18.04 Bionic when no Nvidia GPU present

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 package in Ubuntu:

  Upgrading to 18.04 (Bionic) desktop on a machine running 17.10
  (Artful) and originally installed with Xenial 16.04. Previous release
  (and other) upgrades had gone without issue.

  Run the installer, upgrades to 18.04, and reboots.

  Instead of returning to graphical Ubuntu login prompt, booting starts
  but gets stuck in a state where the screen is flashing every few
  seconds between light grey and black.

  After various experimentation, discovered that the graphical login prompt
would return as wanted if I did:
      sudo apt-get remove nvidia-340

  Note - the machine has Intel graphics, HD Graphics 630 (rev 04).

  Why was nvidia-340 ever installed? I believe I setup this machine by
  exporting a package list from another machine that DID have nvidia
  graphics and then importing it (via synaptics package manager) to the
  machine in question.

  I believe that nvidia drivers have been installed for all the earlier
  Ubuntu releases, but only in 18.04 did they cause an issue.

  I tested this theory on another machine with Intel graphics running
  18.04, and sure enough installing nvidia-340 broke the graphical login
  prompt on reboot - and removing nvidia-340 fixed it again.

  Package: nvidia-340 (not installed)
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64