I can also mention that changing my theme from Ambiance to Adwaita
removed the issue. All the other accounts use Ambiance so there must be
user level settings that is triggering this.

  All gnome apps text areas seem to get messy when using nemo-desktop
  for desktop icons

  With nemo-desktop on open gedit or gnome-system-log and it will be
  impossible to see any text whatsoever because the area is filled with
  whatever the background was and continious rerenders.

  I think this affect apps using a certain feature in gnome libraries so
  only gnome apps are affected and often the ones with white text areas.
  As an example of text area not affected I notice gnome-terminal seems
  fine.

  Details:
  I've followed
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/how-to-replace-nautilus-with-nemo-file.html
  and use nemo-desktop as my file manager. I've used nemo in 16.04 without
problems. My other family members have users that use nautilus and they do not
have the same problems as me.

  Package: nemo 3.6.5-1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Sep  2 23:08:38 2018
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120823.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=nb_NO:nb:no_NO:no:nn_NO:nn:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8
   SHELL=/usr/bin/fish
  SourcePackage: nemo
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-09-01 (1 days ago)