Hello Arthur,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with the
system-config-printer package.  You made this bug report in 2016 and Ubuntu and
the system-config-printer package have been updated since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
If it is still a problem, are you still interested in finding a solution to
this bug?
If you are, could you let us know and, in the current version, could you run
the following (only once):
apport-collect 1582785
and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for this
particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu better.
[Ubuntu Bug Squad volunteer triager]

** Changed in: system-config-printer (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.

  Cannot list 2nd printer with same model

Status in system-config-printer package in Ubuntu:

  When I click on the Add button in system-config-printer to add a
  printer, the next dialog box comes up with a list of detected printers
  within a short time, but it does not find two printers, if they exist,
  with exactly the same model number.  I opened a terminal to see if
  lsusb would list them and it did!  The only difference between the
  listings in lsusb was the "Device ID".  Evidently the code that is
  supposed to list all of the USB printers in this dialog box looks for
  unique model numbers, but not unique device id's.  This makes it
  impossible to add two Zebra LP2844 printers to the same PC on two
  separate USB ports.  I also tried to enable "localhost:631" to try
  adding a printer or two that way, but this was also impossible using
  LinuxMint 17.3, because the cupsd.conf file has been significantly re-
  designed and there's no more easy way to re-enable this feature.
  Can't wait until this problem is fixed.