Oh, wonderful, so I can't reproduce it under Kubuntu.

I'll still keep this open against network-manager though, because I can
reproduce it with nmcli under Lubuntu. So, I'll Git bisect the bad
change in network-manager.

  WiFi connections are broken after update to network-manager 1.12.4

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  After updating to 1.12.4-1ubuntu1, several Lubuntu users have reported
  WiFi is broken. I can reproduce this with one of my laptops.

  Bringing the connection up with nmcli reveals this:

  $ nmcli connection up id MY\ SUPER\ SECRET\ SSID
  Error: Connection activation failed: The Wi-Fi network could not be found

  After downgrading to 1.12.2-0ubuntu5 and running `sudo systemctl
  restart network-manager.service`, the WiFi connects without issue.