Hello Cesare,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with the hplip
package. You made this bug report in 2010 and Ubuntu has been updated since
then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
If it is still a problem, are you still interested in finding a solution to
this bug?
If you are, could you let us know and, in the current version, could you run
the following (only once):
apport-collect BUGNUMBER
and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for this
particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu better.
[Ubuntu Bug Squad volunteer triager]

** Changed in: baltix

** Changed in: hplip (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  HPLIP + LaserJet 10xx/P10xx: "out of paper" resetter needed

Status in HPLIP:
  Confirmed
Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in Baltix:
  Incomplete
Status in hplip package in Fedora:

  Using Ubuntu 9.10 + HPLIP 3.9.12 (Device Man. ver. 15.0 Qt4) + HP
  LaserJet P1005

  The printer works fine as long as there is paper in. When the paper
  bin is empty, HPLIP interface claims for "Device communication error".
  When I put some new paper in, the printer won't come back printing and
  HPLIP still claims for the communication error.

  I'm not able to find any interface action to resume printing after
  having filled the paper in. The printing queue simply claims for
  "paper missing" and there is no interface action to backup from this
  situation. Then I need to delete the printing process from the queue,
  turn the printer off and on again, and start printing the original
  document from the missing page on.

  The only way to prevent this to happen is to load more paper to the
  printer BEFORE it complete the jobs ... but this rather unfair if I
  need to print some jobs in remote, or if the print queue is long
  enough to last for the night ...

  The official HP help pages (web source or PDF cd-rom source) only
  refer to Microsoft Windows software control panel interface.

  Please, could You help me? I wrote this question to the "question"
  section of LaunchPad, and I had no answer at all.

  Ciao from Italy
  CM