I've got the same issue in the Ubuntu 18.10 beta.

snap    2.35.4+18.10
snapd   2.35.4+18.10
series  16
ubuntu  18.10
kernel  4.18.11-surface-linux-surface

Also, Chromium's "Add shortcut..." function (which is broken in the
Chromium snap, but the deb version does it as well) makes use of the
StartupWMClass for Chromium extensions and web apps:
`StartupWMClass=crx_okkolgldfknecfjnhhglfopimelbaceh`

And thus, when no "pure" Chromium window is opened but a Chromium web
app is, opening Chromium will cause the Gnome shell to group the two
icons under the name of the app (as it's the same executable without a
distinguishable StartupWMClass, if I'm right).

With `StartupWMClass=chromium` added to
/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/chromium_chromium.desktop it works
as expected.

** Attachment added: "Alt-tab menu showing a window of Chromium grouped with
the Chromium web app "Twitter""

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/1750243/+attachment/5202300/+files/chromium-no-startupwmclass.png

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] StartupWMClass missing in .desktop file

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  Chromium Snap Version 64.0.3282.167

  How to reproduce:

  In Gnome:

  Add the Chromium Snap to the left launcher panel.
  Start the Chromium Snap.

  Actual behavior:
  The Chromium snap starts and creates a new symbol in the launcher panel.

  Desired behavior:
  The Chromium snap should start using the symbol which is already pinned to
the launcher panel.

  In Budgie:

  The Chromium Snap cannot be pinned to the panel at all.

  Possible solution:

  Add StartupWMClass= ... to the .desktop launcher of the chromium snap.