I'm affected too and thanks to the users here - especially piraten-kris
- we got an overview about the workarounds.

It was a bad suprise to start Thunderbird after regular Ubuntu update
with missing core-functionality. And it is very hard and time consuming
for an user to discover which SW-part is responsible for the misfunction
(normally you start with the plugin or the host program).

Therefore it was a surprise that Ubuntu is responsible for the error and
it is pretty annoying that automatically the responsibility will be
denied ("it's not our bug...").

Ubuntu must really asap correct this bug, because it breaks core
functionality of an application which Ubuntu take care of!

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Lightning incompatible with Thunderbird 60.2.1

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Hi

  Today I got the update from Thunderbird 52 to 60.2.1. Unfortunately
  Lightning doesn't work anymore.

  Thunderbird reports that Lightning is incompatible with Thunderbird
  60.2.1.

  Regards,

  Ettore