Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: ghostscript (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to ghostscript in Ubuntu.

  gs 9.25 in ubuntu package crashes (but not same version from git repo)

Status in ghostscript package in Ubuntu:

  To reproduce this, in a fully updated Ubuntu 18.0.4, download
https://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tests/xhtml/testfiles/resources/pdf/dummy.pdf
  and run:
  $  pdf2ps dummy.pdf
  It should generate a ps, but it crashes instead.

  LONG DESCRIPTION:

  I recently updated my Ubuntu 16.0.4 to Ubuntu 18.0.4 I have been unable to
use my printer since them.
  Looking in /var/log/cups/error_log gave me the clue to find this:

  With the gs executable included in my distro, I get:

  $  pdf2ps dummy.pdf
    ./base/gsicc_manage.c:1244: gsicc_open_search(): Could not find
default_gray.icc
  | ./base/gsicc_manage.c:2261: gsicc_init_iccmanager(): cannot find default
icc profile
    ./base/gsicc_manage.c:1244: gsicc_open_search(): Could not find
default_rgb.icc
  | ./base/gsicc_manage.c:2025: gsicc_set_device_profile(): cannot find device
profile
  **** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.

  I found information about this error in
  "https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59952";. *Apparently it is a fixed
  bug*.

  So I downloaded ghostcript sources from git.ghostscript.com, checked out
9.25, and compiled it.
  To use the new gs executable I did
  mv /usr/bin/gs /usr/bin/gs.orig
  ln -s    /home/j/devel/ghostpdl/bin/gs  /usr/bin/gs

  And now
  $  pdf2ps myFile.pdf
  Generates a ps

  Both gs executables (the one in Ubuntu and the one I compiled) report
  they are 9.25 when I do gs --version.

  I have reproduced with some personal pdfs, and also  with the sample
  pdf in
  https://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tests/xhtml/testfiles/resources/pdf/dummy.pdf

  It seems to me that there is a problem in the patches you
  include/exclude in your packaging (but haven't taken a look at it).

  - Information about my system:

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      18.04

  $ dpkg -l | grep ghost
  ii  ghostscript
9.25~dfsg+1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1               amd64        interpreter for the
PostScript language and for PDF
  ii  ghostscript-x
9.25~dfsg+1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1               amd64        interpreter for the
PostScript language and for PDF - X11 support
  rc  gs-cjk-resource                                             1.20100103-3
                             all          Resource files for gs-cjk,
ghostscript CJK-TrueType extension