Hello Merlijn, or anyone else affected,

Accepted gnome-software into bionic-proposed. The package will build now
and be available at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-
software/3.28.1-0ubuntu4.18.04.5 in a few hours, and then in the
-proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
to enable and use -proposed.  Your feedback will aid us getting this
update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested and change the tag from
verification-needed-bionic to verification-done-bionic. If it does not
fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the
tag to verification-failed-bionic. In either case, without details of
your testing we will not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
advance for helping!

N.B. The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s)
fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in
-proposed for a minimum of 7 days.

** Tags removed: verification-done verification-done-bionic
** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Firmware update seemingly not working

Status in fwupd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in fwupd source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-software source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-software package in Fedora:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  The fix for this particular issue is tracked in SRU bug
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fwupd/+bug/1791999

  Regression potential:
  Fixes for this particular bug would have the risk to manifest in devices not
showing up in gnome-software, but this risk is very low.

  Test case:
  1) Run a UEFI firmware update from Gnome software.
  2) Make sure that the update disappears from the listing after pressing the
update button.

  Original bug:

  Ubuntu 17.10

  On a dell latitude 5580, the firmware update seems to not work while
  it actually does.

  1. Gnome software reports there is a new firmware update.
  2. I click "update now"
  3. The update disappears for a few seconds, then reappears.
  4. When I reboot my laptop, the laptop goes into firmware update modus,
updates the firmware, and starts Ubuntu.

  What I expect:

  After clicking "update now", Gnome software tells me my computer has
  to restart the update. Either the update is listed and greyed out with
  a "reboot required" message, or the update is not visible.