ok. Lets try this. start software boutique from the terminal and give us
all the output when trying to replicate the problem. (open terminal and
type ubuntu-mate-welcome --boutique)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Software Boutique window suddenly shows Welcome window and looses all
  the apps I queued to install

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ubuntu-mate-welcome package in Ubuntu:

  I was selecting apps to install in the Software Boutique, then
  suddenly the Boutique Window displayed the welcome window and lost all
  the apps I queued for installation.

  Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (just reinstalled when Ubuntu MATE 18.10 went into total
meltdown).
  AMD 64-bit prosessor

  Menu->Administration->Software Boutique

  I had actually hoped to install the same software I had installed when
  I first installed 18.04.

  All work lost.

  The code quality is definitely going down hill fast. (even ubuntu-bug -w gets
an error message
  robert@A88XM-A:~/Desktop$ ubuntu-bug -w
  Gtk-Message: 20:41:01.726: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This
is discouraged.).

  Package: python3.6-minimal 3.6.6-1~18.04
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.4
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Oct 24 20:41:06 2018
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/python3.6
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180426)
  ProcEnviron:

  Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.6, Python 3.6.6, python3-minimal,
3.6.5-3ubuntu1
  PythonDetails: /usr/bin/python2.7, Python 2.7.15rc1, python-minimal,
2.7.15~rc1-1
  SourcePackage: python3.6