Hello Russell,
Thank you for submitting this feature/enhancement request for the hplip
package.  You made this request quite some time ago and Ubuntu has been updated
since then.

Do you think this feature/enhancement is still needed or can we close
this bug report?

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu better.
[Ubuntu Bug Squad volunteer triager]

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  cannot disable low ink warning

Status in HPLIP:
  Fix Released
Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:

  I have an HP printer, and it reports low ink when the cartridge still
  has a month or two of ink left in it.  (By 'reports low ink', I mean
  it turns on a warning light for the cartridge, and the built-in
  diagnostic test page and hpilp report a ink level of zero).  The
  printer has 4 cartridges, and I don't replace them all at once, so
  they have varying levels of ink (the current reported ink levels are
  "0%", 50%, 75% and 99%).

  Anyway, I can't remember the last time all of the low ink warnings
  were off.  Interestingly, the printer disables itself when it actually
  runs out of ink.  It'd be nice if that error condition were reported
  by gnome (in fact it might be...)

  I know there's nothing ubuntu can do to fix the ridiculously early
  low-ink warnings, but I wish I could make it stop reporting low ink
  *every time* I print a document.  Ideally the setting could be made
  via a gui on the ubuntu machine with the printer plugged into it.  I
  appreciate the other printer warning messages gnome reports, but the
  low ink one is really driving me nuts.

  (I'm using ubuntu intrepid.  I see the low ink warning on the print
  server, and two laptops...)