@giannione: as it is fixed for me, I propose to close this bug report.
Feel free to re-open it or a new one if you have this bug again after a
restart of your session.

** Changed in: vte2.91 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to vte2.91 in Ubuntu.

  unable to write ~ and ^ chars in the terminal

Status in vte2.91 package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  I am using Ubuntu 18.10 and since the last update, I am unable to
  write ~ and ^ chars in the terminal, in both gnome-terminal and Geany
  (both using libvte2.91).

  I don't have this issue with other applications (terminator, xterm,
  Firefox, Gedit, etc.). But note that now, when I type ^ for the first
  time in Gedit for example, I see this char but underlined. If I type
  it a second type (or press space), it is transformed in ^ without line
  under it. This is a new behaviour that can cause this bug in libvte.

  Please tell me if I need to join other info!

  Thanks!

  Package: libvte-2.91-0 0.52.2-1ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME