Will this fix be backported to 18.04 LTS when released? Apologies for
not understanding the bug workflow here, but I can't find a way to
indicate that I'm experiencing this bug on 18.04 LTS.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  xrandr --scale (again) confines mouse to native solution

Status in X.Org X server:
  Fix Released
Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  This might be a regression where the original issue is:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/xorg-server/+bug/883319

  It can be easily reproduced by doing something like:

      xrandr --output DP1 --scale 1.25x1.25

  The mouse will be still constrained to the native solution (aka you
  can't move the mouse outside a box of whatever DP1 had as resolution
  before.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.04

  $ xrandr --version