This bug was fixed in the package gnome-shell - 3.30.1-2ubuntu2

---------------
gnome-shell (3.30.1-2ubuntu2) disco; urgency=medium

  [ Didier Roche ]
  * debian/patches/ubuntu/background_login.patch:
    - match Yaru theme in the ubuntu session instead of our previous GDM
      background (LP: #1789356)
  * debian/patches/ubuntu/resolve_alternate_theme_path.patch:
    - ensure we resolve finale theme file path to correctly load assets
      under gdm (LP: #1798747)

  [ Marco Trevisan (TreviƱo) ]
  * debian/patches/st-button-Ignore-pointer-emulated-touch-events.patch:
    - Don't emit two click events on touch under X11 (LP: #1745888)

 -- Iain Lane <la...@debian.org>  Wed, 07 Nov 2018 11:05:30 +0000

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Ticks in gdm do not show

Status in gnome-shell source package in Cosmic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  At the login screen (gdm) the a11y menu has a number of options, such as
large text, screen reader etc. If you turn on screen reader you can then hover
over the menu items and they will be read to you.

  If you hover over an option that is enabled, the screen reader will
  tell you, for example:

  Screen reader. TICKED

  The entry in the menu item should have a tick next to it.

  This is what happens using the default GNOME theme.

  [Test Case]
  1. Install new version from proposed
  2. Reboot your laptop
  3. Check the accessibility menu in the login screen (GDM) and ensure you have
ticks near the label
  4. Login and check there is no regression.
  5. For bonus point, you can try GDM using vanilla gnome-shell theme by sudo
update-alternatives --config gdm3.css + a reboot and GNOME Shell vanilla
session (apt install gnome-session + select GNOME session on login screen)

  [Regression Potential]
  The new function exposed to gjs is calling realpath and is idempotent: it
returns the filename given as a parameter on any error, or the realpath()
result if there is any result, not changing the fundamental logic.
  If there was a regression, the Shell wouldn't even load.
  By checking the 5. point, we are checking we didn't impact gresources.

  From https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/issues/917.