Release:        18.10
with latest updates installed.

I have mouse, keyboard and external screen connected to the laptop, lid is
closed.
Right after boot I'm selecting user, typing password, pressing enter and after
a few seconds laptop suspends (fan stopped, keyboard lights turned off).
Pressing space on a keyboard wakes it up.

MSI GL72 7RD, nvidia drivers installed 390.87, X11 ubuntu desktop
session selected in login screen.

Could be resolved if sleep is disabled on systemd side:
sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target
hybrid-sleep.target

** Affects: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Tags: cosmic multimonitor
--
Laptop suspends on login with external screen and lid closed
Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.