Santhan (and anyone else affected),

We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to review all
reported bugs in a timely manner. You reported this bug some time ago
and there have been many changes in Ubuntu and Thunderbird since that
time.

We'd like to close this bug report now due to its age and long period of
inactivity so please let us know if you still see a problem which is
related to the one that you reported.

If we do not hear from you this bug report will expire in approximately
60 days time.

Thank you for helping make Ubuntu better.

Paul White
[Ubuntu Bug Squad]

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  My entire profile, address book and all emails lost

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  I have all my business and personal email accounts set up in
  Thunderbird. My profile directory was approximately 2gigs in size and
  I had an effective system of filters and automatic archiving
  configured. Recently, after accepting the "Compact folders" dialogue,
  as I usually do, I closed Thunderbird. The next time I opened
  Thunderbird, I saw the "Create new account" wizard, and all of my
  emails were gone. My address book and contacts are no where to be
  found.

  I checked the prefjs file as suggested elsewhere and this is not the
  issue.

  My /home/username/.thunderbird directory is less than 16mb in size,
  whereas it was previously over 2gigs.

  The last action before this disaster, was the installation of gnome-
  system-tools, which I had to do to resolve a permissions issue with
  one of my virtualbox guest machines. I installed the package while
  Thunderbird was running. After installing this package I noticed that
  Thunderbird displayed a permission related error message prior to me
  closing it down. Something along the lines of "You do not have
  permissions to view this message". Sorry, I do not recall the exact
  message.

  I closed Thunderbird down and reopened it only to find the new account
  wizard. I shutdown the machine and restarted etc. I cannot find any of
  my email or address book data.

  I run Ubuntu 12.04 on my Thinkpad (T420) notebook and rely on
  Thunderbird for all my important business email communication. I've
  been travelling for the last month and have not done email backups
  since leaving home.

  1) lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04

  2) thunderbird 17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 - Install via software
  center

  3) To see my email as I usually do

  4) All my email accounts and address book was missing. The new account
  wizard appeared.