Please try disabling all your extensions:

 b'org.gnome.shell' b'enabled-extensions' b"['cpufreq@konkor',
'temperature@xtranophilist', 'Internet-Speed-Meter@TH3L0N3C0D3R',
'ubuntu-appindicat...@ubuntu.com', 'indicator-
sens...@alexmurray.github.com', 'sensory-
percept...@harlemsquirrel.github.io', 'vbox-app...@gs.eros2.info',
'gsconn...@andyholmes.github.io', 'ubuntu-d...@ubuntu.com']"

and see if that stops it from happening.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  GNOME Shell using older Ubuntu 16.04~18.04 icons on 18.10

  After starting my user session, all icons from pre-installed system
  programs, (i.e., System Monitor) are presented using older icons on
  the dock, from 16.04~18.04, instead of showing the new 18.10 icons. On
  programs lists they have the correct 18.10 icons. Even when opening
  new system programs, that are not marked as favorites on the dock,
  they are opened with the correct 18.10 icons. This happens at random,
  I can't find a precise way to get this bug to happen.

  Release:      18.10

  gnome-shell:
    Instalado: 3.30.1-2ubuntu1
    Candidato: 3.30.1-2ubuntu1