Building the libxklavier package with the dropped revert-default-group-
change.patch file resolves the problem.

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/282996317/libxklavier_5.4-0ubuntu2_5.4-1.diff.gz

Packages, which is subscribed to libxklavier in Ubuntu.

  cannot switching keyboard layout with xfce4-keyboard-settings

Status in xfce4-settings:
  Confirmed
Status in libxklavier package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in xfce4-settings package in Ubuntu:

  This is on xubuntu 18.04:

  With xfce4-keyboard-settings I have loaded the keyboard layouts "English
(US)" and "German".
  Both are listed in the "Keybord layout" table.
  When I change the order with [key up] or [key down] nothing happens, I still
have the old keyboard layout active.
  To switch the layout I have to DELETE the other one!
  This was not the case with xubuntu 16.04: just changing the order was
sufficent there.