OK, at scale 100% then this would not be a shell bug. Applications
always have the final say in what size their windows are and then shell
can't enforce otherwise unless it wilfully displays the window at the
wrong size. You would notice if the window contents provided by the app
don't fit in that case...

That said, maybe the apps are still willing to resize better in this
case and maybe it is the 200% scale that is a problem with gnome-shell.

  No full screen possible when the minimal window width is higher than
  the horizontal resolution

  As described above. If I rotate my laptop and want to use it in
  portrait mode, I can only use the Gnome Calendar to a very limited
  extent, because e.g. full screen is no longer possible. I will attach
  a screenshot to clarify what I mean.

  Package: gnome-calendar 3.30.0-1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Dec  2 21:37:49 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.3)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)