Hey all, I think opening a new tab in background in a fast way/without
leaving the current page is very useful. I had an extension for that but
it's no longer possible because webext API does not offer that
possibility. That's why I'm following this bug closely. However now I'm
surprised. Here are all the things that happen on Firefox nightly 64.0a1
(2018-09-06) (64-Bit):

ctrl: add www..com
ctrl shift: www.com (should be add www..com in new window?)
shift: new window foreground
alt: new tab foreground
alt ctrl: add www..com and open in new tab foreground
alt shift: nothing happens, should be default action in tab background or new
window background?
alt shift ctrl: www.com new tab background

The name/description of this bug is "Inconsistent "open in new tab"
shortcuts (Ctrl+Enter for links, but Alt+Enter in address bar and search
bar)"

So I think the changes now are useful, but do they solve the original
issue? Ctrl+Enter still doesn't open a new tab in background, like it
does everywhere else. I suggest:

ctrl: open in new tab in background
shift: open in new window in foreground
alt: Doesn't matter to me, maybe add www..com so people who want it still have
it or keep it as new tab in foreground (but what's the advantage of that? just
hit ctrl+t)
ctrl shift: open in new window in background
alt shift: like alt but in new window in foreground
alt ctrl: like alt but in new background tab
alt shift ctrl: like alt but in new window in background

What do you think? Sorry, I don't want to stand in the way of closing
this or marking it as fixed, but it doesn't seem to address the original
point to me. Anyway thanks for the changes and reading this.

  Inconsistent shortcuts for new tab

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Fix Released
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox-3.5 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

  tab:

   - location bar: <ALT> + <ENTER>
   - GO button: <CTRL> + click
   - search bar: <CTRL> + <ENTER>
   - SEARCH button <ALT> + click
   - links: <SHIFT> + click
   - menu bar: <CTRL> + click
   - BACKWARD/FORWARD button: <CTRL> + click

  This is one of the reasons I'm keeping with Opera. There it is always
  the shift key and I have to remember only one key.

  Thanks for reading!