I agree with W-barath-hotmail that this is a serious problem that needs
to be addressed.  I believe on some occasions suspend fails even after
I've killed Chrome.

Please increase the Importance ranking of this bug.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  Screen doesn't lock or go to sleep when certain Chrome tabs are open

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.04

  $ apt-cache policy gnome-session-bin
  gnome-session-bin:
    Installed: 3.18.1.2-1ubuntu1.16.04.1
    Candidate: 3.18.1.2-1ubuntu1.16.04.1
    Version table:
   *** 3.18.1.2-1ubuntu1.16.04.1 500
          500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       3.18.1.2-1ubuntu1 500
          500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

  I'm using gnome-session-flashback

  What happens:
  The screen doesn't lock when having certain pages in Chrome tabs

  Expected:
  The screen should lock after the configured timeout in settings.

  I've been having this issue sice before 14.04, which I recently
  upgraded (fresh install) to 16.04.

  After fresh install, the screen would turn down and lock the computer
  after 10 minutes (or whatever time I setup). At one point it stopped
  working. The screen never shuts down unless I manually lock the
  session with CTRL-ALT-L.

  I've followed the steps in
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingScreenLocking#Debugging_procedure

  The culprit seems to be that Chrome issues some suspend inhibitions
  through dbus when doing certain operations. Many people find this
  problem when using Yahoo Mail. I can reproduce it with Odoo. I'm
  pretty sure that Chrome is doing something else of what i've found
  out.

  1) Gnome screen saver works correctly. I can trigger it manually with:
  $ gnome-screensaver-command -a

  2) Gnome screen saver never receives the "session idle" status
  callback.

  3) When Chrome is not running, I can manually inhibit the idle status:
  $ gnome-session-inhibit --app-id test --reason "manual idle inhibit"
--inhibit-only --inhibit idle:suspend
  Inhibiting until Ctrl+C is pressed...

  4) I can query the inhibitors:
  $ dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager
/org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.GetInhibitorsmethod return
time=1468170482.066533 sender=:1.19 -> destination=:1.1315311 serial=1329103
reply_serial=2
     array [
        object path "/org/gnome/SessionManager/Inhibitor1686"
     ]
  $ gdbus call --session --dest org.gnome.SessionManager --object-path
/org/gnome/SessionManager/Inhibitor1686 --method
org.gnome.SessionManager.Inhibitor.GetAppId
  ('test',)
  $ gdbus call --session --dest org.gnome.SessionManager --object-path
/org/gnome/SessionManager/Inhibitor1686 --method
org.gnome.SessionManager.Inhibitor.GetReason
  ('manual idle inhibit',)
  $ gdbus call --session --dest org.gnome.SessionManager --object-path
/org/gnome/SessionManager/Inhibitor1686 --method
org.gnome.SessionManager.Inhibitor.GetFlags
  (uint32 12,)

  12=4(suspend) + 8(idle)

  5) When testing, I can inhibit for 70 seconds, idle timeout being 60
  (1 minute). After these 70 seconds pass, the screen locks.

  6) Regarding Chrome, this is the information I get when querying the
inhibitor:
  GetAppId: ('/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable',)
  GetReason: ('Uploading data to 10.200.0.163',)
  GetFlags: (uint32 4,)

  The flags just inhibits suspend, not locking or entering powersaving
  mode.

  This inhibitor seems to stay for 10-15 seconds, then goes away for
  another 30-60 seconds. The screen NEVER locks when this tab is open.
  No matter the inhibitor is present or not.

  I'm not sure where to go on. If it's a Chrome bug it must be using
  other mechanisms to prevent the idle timeout. Any ideas on what to
  look for?

  Julian.