This problem occurs on some documents but not others.

I had success in fixing the problem (I have tried it on only one
document) by changing Tools > Options > LibreOffice Writer > Comparison
from "Auto" to "By word".

That may narrow the bug down a bit.  I can supply an example privately
and file another bug report if necessary, but will do so only if someone
will take a look at it.

Packages, which is subscribed to the bug report.

  LibreOffice Writer Document Compare (regression)

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: libreoffice

  Comparing two files has reverted to the old OOo behaviour of flagging
  entire long sequences of paragraphs as different, when in fact they
  are actually identical except maybe for just one or two minor
  typographical differences.