Wayland is not fully functional or compatible with Ubuntu 18.10 yet.
So why use wayland in a full new distribution, and cause problems?
It wasted 8 hours of my time to find the solution.
Just because of 1 line in a gdm3 conf file.
1 wrong line in a config line, and Ubuntu fails.
Ubuntu needs essential conf and system protection, so that 1 little change
cannot derail the entire
OS, or deleting or installing cannot remove essential files necessary to run
the OS.
After this many years Ubuntu is still incredibly easy to break.
Essential, necessary configs and system files that run the basic OS should be
read only!

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu login screen never appears when using the Nvidia driver (and
  setting WaylandEnable=false fixes it)

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdm/issues/435

  ---

  The boot process hangs with the last message being "started bpfilter".
  There is unusual Network activity during that time. The light of the
  WiFi adapter is blinking a lot.

  I am not sure the problem is with the gdm3 package. As a matter of
  fact, I would remove it and let someone more experienced to set it.
  I'm afraid I might break something, though.

  The specific steps or actions you took that caused you to encounter the
problem: 1. Boot Ubuntu 18.10 with the Nvidia proprietary drivers
  installed.

  The behavior you expected: I expected Ubuntu 18.10 to boot normally.

  The behavior you actually encountered: The computer gets stuck in a
  command-like environment with the last message being "started
  bpfilter". You can't type any commands.

  I have found that uninstalling the Nvidia proprietary drivers by going
  into recovery mode fixes the issue.

  Booting with the earlier kernel doesn't fix the issue. Installing the
  earlier v.340 driver also doesn't fix the issue.

  This (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1032639/ubuntu-18-04-stuck-in-
  boot-after-starting-gnome-display-manager-on-intel-graphic) seems
  relevant. This is where I found the "solution".