Okay I just did some more testing on only my built-in laptop display.
It is not the "dim screen when inactive" setting that breaks the night light,
that works fine, the screen is dimmed at once, and the night light is still
active.
What breaks the night light is the progressive dimming of the screen brightness
that directly precedes the blanking of the screen when the "blank screen"
setting is on (i.e. not set to "never").

When the night light is "broken" by the pre-blanking progressive
dimming, it does not re-activate either when stopping the process by
moving the mouse, nor when turning the display on again after the screen
was blanked. To re-activate the night light, we have to go to the Night
Light settings / widget and turn it off and on again.

Still on Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 derivative, with all packages up to date
(bionic-security + bionic-updates).

Hopefully that makes it clearer, and @jesse111 can confirm.

  Night light brakes when screen dims

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using the night light function in Budgie which is set to a
  temperature of 4000 and the schedule is set from sunset to sunrise.
  When my display dims after X minutes of inactivity the night light
  function breaks which results in a much blue-er screen. When I move my
  mouse the dimming effect dissapears but and the temperature and
  brightness of my screen go back to the default value as if the night
  light function isn't on. Disabling and enabling the night light
  function fixes the issue until my screen dims again.