> > Second, users who are used to the current behavior with session restore
> > enabled (esp. on Windows, where mis-hitting ctrl-shift-q is also not a major
> > concern) will start getting warning dialogs when we implement the new
> > behavior. That seems disruptive. But we can't turn off the warning
> > everywhere because then they won't get a warning when closing a window,
> > which they might have relied upon. Any thoughts about how to address that?
>
> The default settings of Session Restore would be what we have currently (not
> having warnings).

That's not really what happens today. Today, there are warnings when
closing windows, or using "close tabs to the right", or using "close
other tabs" - but not when quitting, if and only if session restore is
enabled.

Specifically, the preference you're suggesting we surface "under"
Restore Previous Session already exists, and its default is true (ie
warn when closing tabs). However, there are hardcoded checks for "does
the user have session restore enabled?" in the code that avoid warning
when quitting, irrespective of whether the "warn when closing tabs"
checkbox is checked.

In your new design, we'd remove the hardcoded checks to ask session
restore in the code that actually implements warning, and cosmetically
we'd move the checkbox in about:preferences, and add some logic to
tick/untick (and set/unset the pref) when the user toggles restoring
their session. But that doesn't solve the conundrum here - the pref
would be turned on by default, and we'd remove the checks, so then the
user will start getting warnings.

We could have a one-time migration that turns off the "warn when closing
tabs" pref for people who have session restore turned on, but that also
seems like it'd potentially confuse users who would no longer see
warnings when closing windows / multiple tabs (e.g. via "close tabs to
the right") where they did see those before.

What would you prefer we do? Disable the warnings everywhere for session
restore users, or accept that we'll now start warning session restore
users who might not have expected this?

> I think we are getting very specific for an issue that I think affects a
> small population of users.

While I sympathise with the sentiment here, we already made a change in
bug 1438499 (to show the same "closing multiple tabs" warning when
quitting when session store is not enabled, removing a separate option
to show an alternative dialog that people had to opt in to via
about:config), and already people on Nightly are basically saying that
that removed a "fail-safe":

> browser.showQuitWarning was a good fail-safe to avoid data loss but now that
> it has been removed a suitable replacement is needed, hopefully Bug 550559
> can be expedited to avoid a regression.

... because the "closing multiple tabs" warning on quit is
enabled/disabled together with the same warning when closing
windows/other/right-hand tabs, there's no way to force the quit warning
to come up but not warn for closing windows / multiple tabs, and that's
burning people (it seems).

>  It starts to become overkill if we try to provide
> such specific checkbox options (ie. warn me when quitting, warn me when
> closing a window, etc.).

FWIW, I think the only requirement here is quitting vs. everything else,
and I think an about:config pref would be fine. I don't think this is
going to be a slippery slope. Quitting is by its nature *much* more
destructive than closing a single window, and as noted, easier to do by
accident (esp. on macOS/Linux) than all the other ways of closing
multiple tabs.

If you're convinced that we don't need to provide an option here, that
works, but I think we need to tread carefully and deliberately here.

  "Warn on closing with multiple tabs open" not honored

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Fix Released
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: firefox

  1) lsb_release -rd
  Release:      11.10

  2) apt-cache policy firefox
  firefox:
    Installed: 11.0+build1-0ubuntu0.11.10.1
    Candidate: 11.0+build1-0ubuntu0.11.10.1
    Version table:
   *** 11.0+build1-0ubuntu0.11.10.1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main i386
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/main i386
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       7.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu2 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages

  3) What is expected to happen in Firefox, with Edit -> Preferences -> Tabs ->
"Warn on closing with multiple tabs open" checkbox checked, is when one click
the X, File -> Quit, Ctrl+Q , or Alt+Space -> C, one get's the confirmation box:
  Confirm close
  You are about to close x tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?

  4) What happens instead is one is not warned and the window closes.

  PARTIAL WORKAROUND: about:config -> browser.tabs.maxOpenBeforeWarn ->
  change from 15 to 2. This will pop up the confirmation box clicking
  the X and Alt+Space -> C only.

  WORKAROUND: Disable Ctrl+Q quiting the browser by installing keyconfig add-on:
  http://mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig.xpi

  Then Tools -> Add-Ons -> Extensions -> keyconfig Preferences ->
  highlight Quit -> Disable

  Original Reporter Comments: I found a "workaround" that says to set
  "open to a blank page" somewhere else, and I set this, but it still
  doesn't warn me.

  I work from home and frequently spend an hour or so putting in data,
  all on one screen. If I accidentally hit the stupid little x (which is
  now in the left hand corner just where you don't need it, it is too
  easy to hit it by accident, but i can't change this, it comes with the
  distro), i lose all that work.

  Please tell me how to fix this terrible bug.

  Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100423
  Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.3 GTB7.1

  THIS BUG AFFECTS MY SECURITY (INCOME) but i guess would not be
  classifed as a security bug per se

  Package: firefox 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri May 21 14:07:40 2010
  FirefoxPackages:
   firefox 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
   firefox-gnome-support 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
   firefox-branding 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
   abroswer N/A
   abrowser-branding N/A
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: firefox