Still a problem in Ubuntu 18.10 on Acer Swift 3. With screen blanked, on
resume, it occasionally hangs to leave a blank screen and the side bar.

To recover from it, I switched to another tty (Ctrl-Alt-F3 for example)
then ran "killall gnome-shell" and gnome-shell would restart by itself.
However now for some reason I need to do "export DISPLAY=:0; gnome-shell
-r &"

The side bar is then missing and the display blanks after 15 seconds.

  System freezes on resume/unlock

Status in GNOME Shell:
  Unknown

  After suspend the session the system freezes. This happens when I try to
resume the
   session, in the login screen.

   To make it happen:

    1- Suspend the session from the user menu
    2- Resume the session

    Expected: The session resumes
    Observed: The system freezes

  Package: gnome-shell 3.8.4-0ubuntu6
  Uname: Linux 3.12.0-7-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.12.7-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Wed Dec 18 10:42:22 2013
  DisplayManager: gdm
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'gtk-im-module'
b"'gtk-im-context-simple'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha i386 (20131216)
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  gdmSessionLog:
   /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
   localuser:nando being added to access control list
   localuser:nando being added to access control list
   Script para cjkv iniciada en run_im.
   Script para default iniciada en run_im.