That's an upstream feature request and should be reported to GNOME,
that's not going to be added in an Ubuntu specific way

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  [Oneiric] Now way to configure font hinting and subpixel order

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  On my old Ubuntu installation, I had enabled font hinting and
  configured the subpixel order so that the fonts look well on my LCD.

  On my fresh Oneiric installation, there is no way to do so, and the
  fonts look really ugly in some places (e.g., in the panel). They
  appear to be blurry, which disturbs me very much. My eyes even keep
  moving up the place where the indicators sit just because there is
  something there that doesn't look right. Ubuntu really needs a way to
  configure these things if they can't be detected automatically.