Indeed, that's because the snap doesn't include the search provider,
installing the gnome-calculator deb can be used as a workaround until
that problem is resolved (it's currently being worked on)

** Tags added: snap

** Changed in: gnome-calculator (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-calculator (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-calculator in Ubuntu.

  Not able to do quick calculation via GNOME Activities

Status in gnome-calculator package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  With Ubuntu 17.10 I was able to press the Super key and do simple math
  quickly (i.e. 40/5 would give me answer of 8), not so with 18.04
  testing. Is this due to the fact that GNOME Calculator application is
  a snap app? Also Calculator is missing in Search options in GNOME
  Settings.

  Package: gnome-calculator (not installed)
  ApportVersion: 2.20.8-0ubuntu10
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Mar  3 16:29:35 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180225)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8