The bug is quite old and the code changed since, also there has been no
new report of that specific problem nor activity for some years so
assuming it has been resolved and closing the ticket. If you still get
issues in newer versions feel free to open a new report though.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Using sudo to run nautilus with root permission to change the owner of
  a folder causes a crash

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I ran a window of nautilus using sudo, to get root permissions.
  Then I tried to change the owner of a folder. (It was really an hdd mounted
in that folder if that matters.)

  I set the owner to "Haakon" in the gui, and nautilus crashed.
  Reopening nautilus to fix this resulted in more crashing, with the same
error: "User \"Haakon\" does not exist".
  My real username would be "haakon", and when going back and setting it
manually using chown, nautilus happily accepted it, and stopped choking on that
folder.

  (Does nautilus convert properly between upper and lower case?)